Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Academic Sources

- I think that I want to lead in with the fact that students today are obviously more stressed than they used to be so many years ago. With that, I have found an article from the American Psychological Association (APA) that provides statistics on the increase in mental health disorder reports since the 1990s. This way I can prove that the spike has been drastic in the last ten years and I am able to hone in on what is going on in the school environment and student environment to cause this:

The State of Mental Health on Growing Campuses: A Growing Crisis." Www.apa.org. Education Government Relations Office, n.d. Web. 14 Feb. 2017. <http://www.apa.org/about/gr/education/news/2011/college-campuses.aspx>.

- From there I want to talk about these statistics and how society is changing and shifting which is causing these issues with mental health. In Chapter two of "One Nation Under Stress," speaks of the stress of modern life. While this context applies to a past version of modern life, it does help me merge in to the fact that college environments are changing. It goes deep in to the evolution of stress and how it is appraoched. 

Becker, Dana. "Chapter Two: Getting and Spending: The Wear and Tear of Modern Life."One Nation under Stress: The Trouble with Stress as an Idea. New York: Oxford UP, 2013. 19-48. Print

- Once I have been able to introduce the new campus environment, I can make use of the texts we have gotten in class. When speaking of privatization, I can use The Student Loan Scam and The Price of Privatization. From there I will explain how this is changed the way students view school and what kind of pressure this puts on them. I can further utilize the other texts we were given to back that up. I also plan to find an article on job inflation, this is another pressure that students face. 

Newfield, Christopher.  “The Price of Privatization.”  The Great Mistake: How We Wrecked Public Universities and How We Can Fix Them.  Baltimore: Johns Hopkins UP, 2016. 18-34.  Print.

Collinge, Alan Michael. “The Rise of Sallie Mae and the Fall of Consumer Protections.” The Student Loan Scam.  Boston: Beacon Press, 2009. 1-19. Print. 

- After this, I will end with the fact that mental health facilities cannot keep up with the boom in students needing care. I will use this meta-analysis I found on mental health facilities across US community college campuses that backs up the point that colleges can't keep up. I will then reflect on how this plays in to the issues. 

Finkel, E. (2016). TANGLED UP in blue. Community College Journal, 86(5), 38-42. Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/1788738123?accountid=13626

Field, Kelly. "Stretched to Capacity: What Campus Counseling Centers Are Doing to Meet Rising Demand." The Chronicle of Higher Education. N.p., 6 Nov. 2016. Web. <http://www.chronicle.com/>.





1 comment:

  1. I think you are headed in an interesting direction, and already your research is suggesting a theoretical answer to why mental health support is stretched so thin on campus: it's because of the double-whammy inflicted by privatization, which has both raised the anxieties of students and pushed schools toward an austerity regime that limits services, all while the number of students going to college has continued to climb.

    ReplyDelete