Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Project Further Ideas

I think the biggest question I want to answer in my project is: why are stress levels and mental health prevalence higher in recent years? The intensity of this stress is extremely new, within the last ten years. Is this stress coming from the students themselves or college itself? For my paper, I plan to tackle a few different angles of why this occurring. Among those angles are environmental shifts in university. I think that this is extremely important, the environment of college has changes drastically in the last few years. This is devoted to things like privatization and its results, different/modern home environments, job opportunities, and mental health resources.. Piggybacking off of environment is the bad state of the mental health services in college. Commonly, they are used to training places for graduate/doctoral students and do nor provide thorough, specialized care for students. As a result, students struggling can feel option less. This can be seen in the article provided to be on mental health services. Titled, "Stretched to Capacity," the article from The Chronicle talks about how students that are struggling in university are on the rise and investigates how schools are tackling the issue. It also speaks of what schools can do to attend to this spike in appointments. Further, job opportunities in this time are sparse. To be successful, which is making enough money to be comfortable, you either need to pursue a rigorous undergrad, or pursue higher education. Whatever it may be, it is a lot of work and can be very daunting. Every grad counts. I am looking in the book that has been provided to be which proposes that stress is more than just actual stress, that we stress about being stressed about stress. "One Nation Under Stress," by Dana Becker speaks of how we have blown stress out of proportion and turned it in to something bigger than itself. I am extremely interested to look even further than I already have. When I looked in to the topic, I found an article titled "Tangled up in the Blue" by Ed Finkel, which is a mass survey narration of mental health facilities in Colleges. I think one issue I will run in to with this topic is if I am looking in to surveys, I have to really think about the validity of these surveys.

1 comment:

  1. It could be that the capacity crisis is caused by privatization on both ends: students facing more worries due to the extra pressures that high tuition causes (including debt and working while going to school), while the Universities are reluctant to devote money to campus mental health facilities with their budgets so tight. All due to privatization.

    ReplyDelete